Mini Distance Widget

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Trail Run

Today my group ran a cross country trail at Sierra College.  I ran two loops around it which is about 5.5 miles.  I had to stop and walk a bit because I am not in shape for climbing hills even short ones.  It's all good though.  Trail runs are fun and stimulating.  This was the first time in recent memory that I left my I POD Shuffle in the car.  I have been reading Jeff Galloway's Marathon Training Book.  I was reading last night about proper running form.  I had been running about 2 miles when I remembered I wanted to try out what he was talking about in his book.  He says to think of yourself as a marionette.  Head over shoulders, shoulders over hips, hips over knees and knees over ankles.  When I thought about that I probably added 2 inches to my running height.  I realized I was pushing myself down when I ran. 

It was kind of hard to keep that form going.  I then realized that my arms were swinging side to side across my body  instead of pumping up and down.  I started to have a sore spot in my left shoulder so I tried to relax both shoulders and not to clinch my hand.  Then I remembered how it was when I tried to learn how to play golf.  There was just too much fine tuning of your body in order to hit that little white ball.  I soon gave up as I had to see a Chiropractor every time I tried.  Anyway, sometimes running is like that.  So many little things you do wrong can add up to a lot of discomfort either right away or down the line.  I think that during the month of January I will concentrate on having better running form. 

Also, this week was the beginning of our training for a half marathon in March called Shamrock'n.  It begins and ends at Raley Field in West Sacramento.  At least I know what I am getting myself into this time unlike my first half marathon.  I am learning by trial and error what I can eat and not eat, and drink and not drink in the days leading up to a long run.  As time goes on, I will be posting those issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment