Mini Distance Widget

Sunday, January 2, 2011

First Run of 2011

So today  my running group met at 8am for a trail run at Folsom Lake, yes as in Johnny Cash's Folsom Prison Blues fame.  It was raining and about 45 degrees.  Runners are not wimpy people.  There were probably 15-20 of us out there running in the rain.  We ran on a single track most of the way through puddles and mud and over rocks and stuff like that.  Really it's like being a kid again.  I've gotten just as wet if not more wet playing soccer in the rain. 

I found this website, DailyMile, and am using them to track my mileage.  It was great to see that it works. Yeah, one less thing to worry about with this blogging thing.  I was getting all worried on how to track my mileage and really didn't want to keep up an Excel spreadsheet as I already do that with my running group and I make lovely spreadsheets at work. 

About half way into my run today, the ol IT Band started aching.  It had stopped hurting prior to the CIM (California International Marathon) where I was part of a relay team.  I took off the month of October and half of November to rehab my knee. I think I ran too many miles too soon and that activated the IT Band.  I took a month off again and worked hard on rehabbing with weights and the elliptical and only walks with the hubby and Joie my dog.  So now I have an achy IT Band, which is becoming a dirty word to me.  I religiously use the foam roller on it to the point I want to cry like a big baby.  I can never get the tension to release.  I follow up the foam roller with about 7 minutes of stretching the hamstrings, the quads, the inner thighs, the glutes, and the calves.  Sometimes it feels like I spend more time on the rolling, stretching routine then I actually spend running.

I hope to find an answer for the IT Band.  I may go to my Podiatrist and see if I have any problems with one leg shorter then another.  My brother has a significant difference in his leg length so it is worth checking it out.  I've read that differences in leg lengths can exacerbate the IT Band.  We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment