Mini Distance Widget

Saturday, November 12, 2011

CIM-Three Weeks Out

So for those of you not from the Sacramento area, the above picture is the course that I will be running on December 4th.  We start in Folsom and run 26.2 miles to the Capital in downtown Sacramento.  I will also be running very near my house.  It is maybe a mile away from Fair Oaks Blvd. and Oak Street which is around mile 5 or 6 of the race. 

Tomorrow, November 12th, we are running the last 15 miles or so of the race.  We will be starting at Fair Oaks and Sunrise Blvd.  Should be interesting as there are no sidewalks on parts of Fair Oaks.  Guess I better wear something bright so the crazy drivers on this road can see me.  I can say crazy drivers because I lived in that neighborhood for 6 years.  I once missed hitting a deer by about 10 feet on Fair Oaks between Sunrise and San Juan. 

At this point, physically, I feel like I am being held together by string and sheer will.  I have my I Phone timer working everyday at work.  It alerts me every hour and a half to get up and stretch.  I go through a regular routine of stretching calves, quads, hamstrings, hip flexors and glutes.  I had to bring my yoga mat to work so my knees wouldn't hurt.  I have a glass panel next to my door.  It's kind of embarrassing to have your boss walk by while you're in the middle of a glute stretch. 

Not many people understand why I am doing this.  The people I work with think I'm a crazy person.  My boss told me yesterday that he is happy with 29 minutes of cardio a day and that nothing could convince him that what I was doing was "fun".  I don't know if it is fun either.  Challenging, pushing me beyond my capabilities, setting and achieving a goal, it is all of those.  Truly if a 53 year old woman with a bad knee can do this, anyone can too with proper preparation and motivation.  I am motivated, very motivated.  I haven't raised the money I would like to with the fundraising.  My job situation became tenuous and I didn't want to threaten any professional contacts with a personal issue.  Still, money is needed to continue research into the cure for spinal cord paralysis and I am glad to raise whatever I can towards that end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment